Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Ang Chiew Mee Suah (Hong Chau Min Sin-cantonese)



This is Hock Chiew's signature Mee Sua or Min Sin.

This is Sitiawan's famous dish. It's like Kei Si Hor Fun (sliced chicken noodle) in Ipoh.

My first try on this dish was back in 1999, almost 10 years ago. I can say that I like it very much.

What so special about this dish ? The soup base is not merely braised by chicken stock nor pork stock. It entails chinese red rice wine which soaked in for 3 months before it's ready to be used.

As below pic, glutinuous rice with red rice and wine cake.
Mix them together and soak for 3 months.


It is then kept in bottle and ready to be used to cook ginger chicken soup or saute chicken with it's rice wine. MIL used to cook soup whenever it's the birthday of any of the family members.

The mee sua is first cooked with plain water. After it is cooked, drain it. Then, scoop up some oil from the red wine soup and mix to the mee sua. In this sense, the mee sua will not stick in one big lump, and it is much tastier.


*Note: There are 2 types of mee sua from Sitiawan. One is fatter and the other thinner. I like the thinner type. It goes well with this soup.

In fact, this dish is also perfect to be eaten during confinement since it is made of rice wine and also cooked with chicken and ginger. I had it almost every other day during my confinement. nmm... it's yummy !

This Signature Dish has also been blogged by Motormouth from Ipoh earlier on. You can check out from his blog on where to find this dish in Sitiawan. As for Penang (mainland), there is one coffee shop selling this at night. It is at Tmn. Mutiara night food court, BM. Main road to Jit Sin (SRJK) Secondary high school, coffee shop facing the main road. (the morning wet market is at the back).

7 comments:

Little Inbox said...

Oh, now I know how to prepare hong chao. DO you know whether we can get any ready made hong chao?

New Kid on the Blog said...

Long time didn't see you already!! Hope you're doing fine. Take care, pal!

Christina Kim said...

Somehow there's always a different version of everything ya!
Ipoh Kai Si Hor Fun ~ Sitiawan's Mee Suah
Penang's Hokkien Mee ~ KL Prawn Mee

Haha....but back to your post..the red chinese wine is an interesting ingredient! I am just intrigued by the creativity of Chinese cooking, no wonder they can have such a huge database of cooking style!

CK Lam said...

There is also one in Penang island...at the corner of Burma/Kedah Road junction. The lady serves great ang chiew mee sua.

24HrMom said...

Little inbox, my MIL has it ready always. If you really want it, I can talk to her.

NK, I somehow dunno really tired after work. I used to steal some time in office during lunch to update a little but now totally can't. With all your supports, I will continue update it... Thanks.

Christy, haha.. I think my cooking style suits best to chinese (huge database) as I always simply match them. :-D

CK, Thanks! Am still figuring where Kedah road is. Will check out w frens tmrw. Once I got to taste it, I'll blog about it.

Little Inbox said...

oh thanks. By the way I talked to one of my friend who married a Setiawan guy. She commited to give me one bottle and the dry hong chao for me to merinate the chicken. It's home made from her MIL. So anticipating to try it out.

Anonymous said...

Greetings,

I would like to introduce myself as Paramjot Singh Khalsa. I am a Marketing Manager at Chayo Café, a Vegetarian café and a Yoga studio located at 50-1 Kelana Mall Jalan SS6/14 Kelana Jaya, Selangor Malaysia.

I have been reading your article on your blog for a while and found that your article is really helpful for public to know what is going in the city and keeping them aware of the trends. I would like to humbly invite you to come and try our meal and experience our friendly and cozy environment in which we offer a nice and healthy herbal tea which is imported from USA and Netherland. We also serve an organic Coffee such as Chayo Spice, Chayo Thai (a wonderful combination of Coffee with coconut flavor). Apart from those drinks, we also have nice smoothies, shakers and not to forget our lovely snacks.

We have a variety of nice Northern Indian Lunch and dinner set and healthy western menu.



Please feel free to come and experience our hospitality,

You are reach me at 0196886559 or 03 7806 2675



Look forward hearing from you soon



Best Regards

Paramjot singh